Men with Low testosterone level is commonly prescribed Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT). Actually, testosterone in men does more than promoting healthy sex drive. It maintains several health factors like bone density, body fat distribution, RBC count, mood, sperm production, muscle mass ad strength.
Doctor will suggest testosterone injections, when your blood is far below the norm (300 - 1000 ng/dL). Basically, the T-injections are given by doctor, but if they let you to self-administer, then it is vital to know the technique of injecting it properly. Choosing the correct sites for injecting is crucial for benefits and efficiency of the injection.
Testosterone Injection Process
Self-administration of T injection includes caution. It is necessary to know proper way to inject yourself.
Assemble the supplies -
- Testosterone vial
- Disposable Syringe & needles
- Alcohol swabs
Set for injection
The area you choose to inject needs to be well-lit. Clean it properly. The vial needs to be removed from the refrigerator and allowed to reach room temperature. Hand washing is vital to prevent infection. Even checking expiry date of the T vial frequently is crucial.
Best injection sites
- Shoulder or deltoid muscle
- Gluteus Maximus muscle
- Dorsogluteal or Ventrogluteal site
- Vastus Lateralis thigh muscle
How to prepare injection dose?
- Remove vial cap.
- Clean rubber stopper with alcohol swab.
- Allow to dry.
- Check syringe package, if it is damaged avoid using that syringe.
- Place 18G needle cover directly on the syringe and pull plunger to draw air in syringe. Air drawn needs to be same as the dose that needs to be administered.
- Insert the needle straight from the centre of rubber stopper right inside the vial.
- Push the air inside the vial.
- With vial positioned downward pull the needle slowly using the plunger. The syringe will be filled with the solution.
- Match the recommended dose and stop.
- Check the syringe for air bubbles.
- If you see tap the syringe gently with fingers.
- Air bubbles will rise on top, push plunger slowly and the air bubble will be forced out.
- Needle should not be removed from the vial, during this procedure.
- Remove syringe but don’t keep it down.
How to give injection?
- Clean injection site with alcohol swab.
- Allow it to dry.
- Hold skin tightly around injection site.
- Insert needle at 9 degrees quickly and firmly.
- Remove you hand from the site and slowly pull back the plunger to check, if there is blood.
- If there is then remove injection instantly and if there is no blood, push the liquid slowly inside the muscle.
- Remove the needle and gently rub the alcohol swab on injection site.